What support is available

What support is available?

Prospective students - Please click on the icon to the right to access useful information for prospective students with disabilities, specific needs and medical conditions wishing to study at Swansea.

Inclusive Student Support Services provides a broad range of support for current students, including:

  • Assistance with applications for funding
  • Arrangements made for alternative examination provision, e.g. extra time, use of a computer etc.
  • Access to our support schemes for students who have been recommended notetakers, readers.
  • Liaison with your academic department, Residential Services, Transcription Centre and the Academic Registry.
  • Liaison with external agencies, such as your Local Education Authority, Student Finance Company the RNIB, RNID to facilitate the necessary support.
  • Assessments of needs, identifying the best available technology and human support.
  • Support for students with mental health difficulties from the Wellbeing Service.
  • Services for customers with impairments or long term health conditions at The Library.
  • Adapted Accommodation - A number of rooms in the campus halls have been adapted in various ways to accommodate the needs of students with disabilities. For further information on halls, including cost and location, please look at Residential Services.
  • Telecare Service - This service has been set up in order to assist students who have a medical condition which may affect their ability to live independently in University residences.  This is achieved through the combination of a 24 hours telephone link to the monitoring centre and state of the art technology. 

Types of Support

Diagnostic Testing

Students who have enrolled at the University who would like to be tested for dyslexia or who would like to obtain a new educational psychologist report via the Disability Office, must book an appointment with a Disability Caseworker first .

The Disability Caseworkers will explain to you what is involved, the charge for a diagnostic report and funding that may be available to assist with this cost.

If you are applying for the Disabled Students Allowance and require a new diagnostic report, it is essential that you speak to your LEA or funding body and ascertain what report they will require; for example, if it is a specialist teacher report, whether that teacher needs to be PATOSS registered.

If you do not want to have a diagnostic assessment through the University, you can contact the British Psychological Society or telephone 0116 2549568 or email enquiries@bps.org.uk


Personal Care

If you are a student who requires personal care support, such as washing, dressing, toileting, assistance with cooking, shopping, socialising and general day to day living, please contact one of the Disability Caseworkers as soon as possible to discuss your needs, how to fund this type of support and what options are available to you. Please bear in mind, that arranging this type of support can be a long process and could take up to a year of planning to ensure support needs are met.

Personal Care Leaflet

Specialist tuition

The Specialist Tuition for Academic Success (STAS) is available to eligible students in receipt of the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) or other funding streams.  Through one-to-one and group sessions, STAS supports students with SpLDs, ASC, wellbeing needs and medical conditions to improve their academic skills to get the most out of their university experience. 



Notetaking, Support Worker Scheme

The Notetaking and Support Worker Scheme is run by the Disability Office. The Scheme has been operating for several years, and has now grown to accommodate the needs of the increasing population of disabled students. Last year, over one hundred people were appointed to provide notetaking support.

If you require Notetaking or a Support Worker and this has been recommended as part of your Assessment of Needs, it is crucial that you contact the Disability Office as soon as possible. Support Workers provide a broad range of study support to enable students to overcome any difficulties they experience when studying. A student’s DSA Needs Assessment usually identifies the support needed and recommends the types of Support Worker you require. If you have not been able to have a Needs Assessment, perhaps, because you are not eligible for the Disabled Students’ Allowance, but you think you need help from the Support Workers Service, you should contact the Disability Caseworkers.