Swansea University

Travel Advice

Advice on traveling on University business

Personal Accident and Travel Insurance

All employees and students of the University are covered under this policy whilst travelling on University business:

a) Outside the Person Covered's Country of Domicile or

b) Within the Person Covered's Country of Domicile but only where the person(s) are required to obtain overnight accommodation away from the normal place of residence, or

c) Where the journey requires an internal flight, and the flight has been booked in advance of the journey.

N.B. Medical expenses apply to a) above only.

This cover is automatically in place, therefore, notification of intention to travel need not be sent to the Director of Finance. All travellers should refer to the form, F - E.17.1 Summary of Travel Cover 2017-2018 , and should take a copy of the with them. In the event of a claim, the traveller must produce evidence that the overseas journey was for University business. Members of staff should submit a copy of the relevant “Request for approval to travel overseas” form (Section F-E.8.3.1.) with their claim. Students should submit a copy of a letter from their Head of Department (or his/her representative) authorising their travel.

If you need to make a claim, one of the following documents should be downloaded, completed in full, and then sent to insurance@swansea.ac.uk along with any relevant documents. Please do not send any claim directly to the insurers.

Cancellation/Curtailment Claim Form

Delay/Missed Departure Claim Form

Medical Expenses Claim Form

Personal Effects & Money Claim Form

Your claim will be dealt with as quickly as possible by our insurance providers. The more information you give when completing the form, the easier it will be for them to deal with the claim. The reference to quote on Page 1 of any of the forms is UM/028.

Visa application and proof of cover:

 You may need proof of cover in order to apply for a visa if travelling abroad on University business. A letter can be prepared for you for this. Please e-mail insurance@swansea.ac.uk at least 7 days before your Embassy appointment so that a letter can be prepared.


Control Risks -Travel Security Online and Country Risk Forecast offer information and analysis on strategic business risk developments, including political, operational and security issues, as well as security issues for travellers and expatriates in more than 200 countries and 330 cities. If you are a member of staff or a student at SU, you can access this site through our intranet, https://Intranet.swan.ac.uk/mainmenu.asp Once you have logged in, you can access the CR website via "Links." You can obtain reports on the country/ city that you are travelling to, as well as being able to sign up for e-mail alerts when you are abroad. Make use of the information offered and log in now.

Advice for travellers provided by the Department of Health

Foreign & Commonwealth Office - Essential Travel Advice