How do I apply?

What type of student am I?


Student from a University that has an exchange agreement in place with Swansea University.


Usually a student from a University that does not have an exchange agreement in place with Swansea University.

Please check with your home university Study Abroad Office as some universities offer exchange and fee-paying options.

You will need to be of a good academic standing to be able to study at Swansea University. English Language Entry Requirements - for those students who have been studying in a country where English is not the first language, please click here for further information: English Language Requirements Page


I've been nominated - how do I apply?

Application information will be sent out to all partner universities in March for students wishing to pursue study in Semester 1 (September - January); Term 1(Fall)(September - December) or for a full academic year (September - June); and in October for students wishing to pursue study in Semester 2 only (February - June).

Please contact the Study Abroad Office of your home university for this information.  If you wish to come to Swansea University as a fee-paying Visiting Student you must also seek approval of your home university and provide a copy of this approval by email.

Please click on the "Apply Now" button at the bottom of the page to complete your application. 

How will I know if my application has been successful?

When you submit an application you will receive an automated acknowledgement of receipt.  We will then contact you by email to confirm when your application has been processed and again to confirm that you have been accepted.

These emails will be followed by confirmation of acceptance and information packages which will be posted to your home address as provided on your online application form.   PLEASE NOTE: Packages for international students will be sent directly to your home university Study Abroad Co-ordinator who will distribute them to you.

Which campus will I be studying on?

Swansea University has two campuses.

Singleton Park Campus: for all classes/modules within the Colleges of Arts & Humanities; Human & Health Science; School of Law (including Criminology); Medical School; Departments of Biological Sciences; Department of Geography; Department of Physics.

Bay Campus: for all classes/modules within the College of Engineering (including Sports Science); School of Management; Department of Computer Science; Department of Mathematics.

If students choose modules across different colleges they will need to travel between the two campuses. Please be aware that travel time is an important factor to think about when choosing modules as students will need to allow some additional time for this journey. Classes start on the hour at both campuses so it is not possible to attend a 10am lecture on the Singleton Park campus followed by an 11 am lecture on the Bay Campus.

The Go Global Team in the International Development Office is based on the Singleton Park Campus, but also has a regular presence at the Bay Campus should you need to speak to one of the team in person.

How and when will I be assessed?

How and when will I be assessed?

It is important when selecting modules that you pay attention to the method of assessment. Some modules are assessed by essay, others are assessed by examinations.

  • Semester 1 (TB1) modules/courses:  Certain subject areas have examinations in January and students are required to be present in Swansea for these.   Some subject areas offer alternative assessment.  It is the responsibility of students to check the method of assessment before selecting their modules.
  • Term 1 (Fall) modules/courses: Students should only select modules that offer alternative assessment. It is the responsibility of students to check the method of assessment before selecting their modules.
  • Semester 2 (TB2) modules/courses in all subject areas are assessed by examination only, there is no alternative assessment available. 
  • Students are required to be present at all set examinations and should NOT arrange return flights home until their final examination timetable is confirmed by the Examination Office.  These timetables are published in mid-December for January examinations and in early April for May/June examinations.
  • Swansea University does not proctor any examinations in students’ home universities/countries.

 Transcripts & ECTS Conversion

  • The Go Global Inbound Team will post academic transcripts to students’ home address and to their home universities at the end of each academic year, after the Examination Boards have taken place in July.
  • Interim transcripts for Semester 1 & Term 1(Fall) students will be posted to students’ home address and to their home universities after the first semester Examination Boards take place in early March each year.
  • Students are able to download copies of their transcripts from their Intranet records after the Examination Boards.

Do I need a visa to study at Swansea University?

• EU nationals do not need a visa to study at Swansea University.

• International students pursuing study for 6 months or less (a semester) may require a Short Term Student Visitor visa. Students should check the website below for more detailed information.  Students should check the visas and immigration website for more detailed information. ALL students in this category will receive a Short Term Student Visitor visa support letter by post which they should carry alongside their passports when coming through UK Immigration.

• A Tier 4 (CAS) Visa is required for international students who wish to:

o study here for an academic year
o work whilst in the UK
o do voluntary work in the UK
o undertake an internship in the UK

Swansea University will issue students with a Tier 4 (CAS) letter that you will require to apply for your visa. 

Please make sure you inform us on your application if you come under any of the above categories. 

For more detailed information visit the website.  


It is not possible to apply for your visa until 3 months before the start of your studies in Swansea.

Student Visitor 'Short Term Student' - Non EU students coming to Swansea University for 6 months or under may require a Student Visitor Visa. The Go Global Team will issue you with a Student Visitor Visa support letter that you must carry inside your passport when arriving in the United Kingdom, this letter will be sent to you as part of your acceptance package.

Tier 4 (CAS) Visa - Non EU students attending Swansea University for a full academic year or wishing to undertake any type of work/internship alongside their studies, will require a CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) to apply for a Tier 4 Visa.   Students will be contacted directly by Swansea University's Marketing, Recruitment & International Compliance Officer’ on the email supplied on the application form and requested to complete a Previous Studies Questionnaire form.  This form must be completed and submitted in order for a CAS to be issued.  You will also need a copy of the original transcript that you submitted to support your application to study at Swansea.

When can I apply for accommodation?

When can I apply for accommodation?

Once you have been accepted at Swansea University as an Exchange or Fee-Paying Visiting student you will receive an email from the Go Global Team which will provide you with a link to Residential Services to enable you to apply for accommodation.  The email will also contain your Swansea University student number that you need in order to set up an accommodation account.


For details of accommodation options please click here

To complete the online application form click on the "Apply Now" button below

                 Apply here button




 Application deadline for February 2019 start: 26th October 2018