Article Processing Charges - Gold Open Access Support
Help with Article Processing Charges for RCUK Funded Research
The Library has generous funds available from an RCUK grant to pay article processing charges to support their policy of encouraging open access publishing. Please note that if your research project grant includes funding for publication costs, the project will not be eligible for this APC fund. Projects funded by Innovate UK and the UK Space Agency are not eligible for support from this grant.
RCUK includes AHRC, BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC, MRC, NERC, NC3Rs and STFC.
To qualify for funding from the RCUK open access fund:
- Your research must be funded by RCUK and acknowledge this fact in your article. Please remember to comply with all of the funder's requirements, for example, EPSRC now require a 'Data Access Statement' in all publications. More information about the RCUK open access policy and the current version of the FAQ section (1st September 2017) can be found on their website.
- Your publication must be a peer reviewed journal article or conference proceeding submitted for publication since 1st April 2013. Books and other publications are not covered by this RCUK fund.
- You must be using a gold open access route. This means that the peer reviewed article is available for immediate unrestricted online access at no cost to the end user.
- Ensure that a CC-BY licence is available. The journal should use a creative commons cc by licence (the standard for open access journals) which allows downloading and the use of text and data mining tools. It should also allow immediate deposit in other repositories. This can be checked using Sherpa FACT or by checking the journal's OA web-page.
- Further information is available in the 'Publisher Discount' section for Springer and Wiley APC payment requests.
- New for 2017/18 The institution has the discretion to use the grant to support making a RCUK funded PhD thesis open access if payment for image licence fees are required. Contact us to discuss this option.
Please complete this online application form to apply for APC financial support.
The corresponding author or grant holder must be a current member of Swansea University and applications will be dealt with in order of receipt. Please note that a request for APC payment does not guarantee that funding will be available.
- Apply for funding when your article has been accepted for publication and provide documentation to support the application (upload a copy of the acceptance email). Please note that we do not accept applications for retrospective conversion to gold open access for articles that are already published (HEFCE OA FAQ see 10.1-10.3).
- You must supply the project name, funder and a project reference number.
- We will normally require an invoice if we accept your request to process the payment.
- You will be required to upload the publisher's pdf to CRONFA as soon as possible after publication.
Open Access Costs for Unfunded Research
For requests that do not qualify for support from the RCUK grant approach your College to enquire if funding is available for Gold APC support. The university does not mantain a centrally administered APC fund. In many cases you can comply with HEFCE’s and other funders’ Open Access requirements without paying a fee, by uploading your Author Accepted Manuscript in RIS.
Please visit the Swansea University Open Access Policy for information.
- For 2017/18 this institution is expected to make a minimum of 75% gold or green papers available via open access.