How to apply

How to Apply


1. Current students applying for taught programmes

If you are a current Swansea undergraduate applying for a taught postgraduate programme and are on-track to obtain an Upper Second Class honours (2.1) or above, you will be invited to apply via the University’s fast-track application system. Invitations to apply will be sent to Swansea email accounts in January and April. A further reminder will be sent after results are known in July. As we already hold information on your academic performance you don’t have to provide academic references or transcripts of your marks to date. You will be asked to complete a short application form and you will normally receive a decision from us within two working days. 

2. Online Application

Please read our Guidance Notes before applying online. Online application is the quickest way to apply and receive a decision on your application. We regret that the On-track system is not currently available in Welsh, but we are working on this. In the meantime we welcome Welsh language applications by post or email, please find our Welsh language application pack for download at the following link - Pecyn Cais [PDF]

Apply now button




3. Apply by Post or Email

Please download the following Application documents ;

and either send the completed Application and Reference Form by post to : 

Postgraduate Admissions Office
Swansea University
Singleton Park
United Kingdom

or email to :

Email: Tel: +44(0)1792 295358

*Please Note - You will need the latest version of Adobe® Reader® (download here) in order to be able to update these documents electronically. Please remember to save your forms as you fill them in

‌Some Colleges have fixed closing dates for their taught Masters' courses and/or research degrees - see individual course listings for details. Applicants for other courses are encouraged to apply by 31st July to ensure that vacancies are still available. Enrolment for taught Masters' courses usually takes place in late September. Enrolment for research degrees takes place in late September, January, April and July.

Admissions Policy

For more information, please download our Admissions Policy [PDF]

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions 

How do I find more information about the course?

  • Detailed information can be found on our taught and research A-Z course web pages.

What is the difference between a taught and research degree?

  • A taught postgraduate degree is a structured degree of study consisting of a number of modules in specialist subjects which can prepare a student for a particular professional career.
  • Taught programmes are designed to develop knowledge in specialised subjects previously studied more generally.
  • A few Master's programmes act as "conversion courses", allowing students to change or develop their area of specialisation from that undertaken at undergraduate level.
  • Undertaking a taught receive will often involve attending lectures and seminars or possibly working in the lab if undertaking a science-based course.
  • Assessment is usually exam-based and through written assignments at the end of each module. To gain a Master's degree, students are often expected to complete a dissertation.
  • Taught degrees typically last 1 year full-time, or 3 years if studying part-time.
  • A research degree provides students with the opportunity to research a specific area or topic in depth.
  • Research degrees are more focused on independent study.
  • Some research degrees do involve a taught element, particularly Master's by Research (including EngD) degrees.
  • Research students are provided with guidance and support by their supervisor and the facilities to conduct their research. Their research should result in a unique piece of work involving new knowledge in their chosen subject area.
  • Assessment is based upon a students final thesis and an oral examination (viva-voce).
  • Research degrees vary in duration. MRes and Master's by Research degrees are typically pursued over 1 year full-time or 2 years part-time. PhDs last at least 3 years full-time, or 6 years part-time.

 How can I find out the research interests of academic staff at Swansea? 

  • Please use our Directory of Expertise to search for academics working in your field. Search by generic keywords or subject areas - browse academic profiles to find the likeliest member of staff to be interested in your idea and then contact them direct.

I am a current undergraduate in Swansea University and I want to stay here to study a taught master's.  Do I need to submit a full application?

  • Not necessarily – if you are on track to obtain a 2.1, an email will be sent to your student account (usually January or April) inviting you to submit a short application for an appropriate master’s course. We will not require an academic reference or a transcript of your marks to date as we already hold information on your academic performance.

 Can I apply online?

  • Applying online is the quickest way to apply for postgraduate study and receive a decision on your application.

Please note that the following courses have different application processes:

 Is there an application deadline? 

  • Some Colleges have fixed closing dates for their taught Master's courses and/or research degrees - see individual course listings for details. Applicants for other courses are encouraged to apply by 31st of July to ensure that vacancies are still available.

Where can I find information about entry requirements? 

  • You can find entry requirements for all postgraduate programmes on the A-Z list of programmes. If you can't find the information, or you are unclear what the entry requirements are, you can contact the Postgraduate Admissions Office by email or telephone: +44 (0)1792 295358.

When do postgraduate degrees start in Swansea?

  •  Enrolment for taught Master's courses takes place in late September. Enrolment for research degrees takes place in late September, January, April and July.  

 What documents do I need to send you?

  • A copy of your current or final academic transcripts and their official translations
  • A copy of your degree certificates (Bachelor and Masters, if applicable) and their official translations
  • Personal statement outlining the reasons you wish to pursue your receive of study (taught master's candidates only)
  • Curriculum vitae (taught master's students applying on the basis of experience)
  • IELTS test report form if English is not your first language
  • Outline research proposal (research students only)
  • Copy of your passport (photo page) (non-EU applicants only)

Can I just print my last degree module results from my University online results system?

  • No. We do not accept this as proof of your results. We need an official transcript from your University, which you should be able to get from your Academic Office/Registry. If it is your final transcript, it needs to state your final overall result.

My degree results are in a language that is not English. Is this ok?

  • No. We need an official translation of your documents into English if they are not printed in English in the first place. We will not be able to process your application until we have received a copy of your original documents and their official translation. The original translation will be required when you apply for your Tier 4 Visa.

How do I send you reference letters?

  • References can be supplied as follows:
    • You can attach "open" letters of support to your online application form; or
    • Submit full details of your nominated referees on your online application form (please make sure that you type your referees email addresses carefully, without mistakes). The Admissions Office will then contact your referees directly via the online form.
    • If you receive an offer conditional upon receipt of a satisfactory reference, it is your responsibility to follow up any outstanding letters of support.

How much will it cost?

  • You can find details of the tuition fees on each postgraduate course page. Please also see our tuition fee web page for information about how to pay your fees and the University's refunds policy.

Are there any scholarships or bursaries available?

Can I be exempted from part of a degree/accepted with accreditation of prior learning or advanced standing?

  • It may be possible to admit you to a taught master's with advanced standing on the basis of M-Level modules studied elsewhere in the UK during the last five years. Please apply using the standard application form, but ensure that you include your previous academic transcripts plus a copy of the course syllabus giving details of learning outcomes and credit weightings.