Swansea University’s Director of the Centre for Migration Policy Research, Professor Heaven Crawley, has been appointed as a special adviser to an inquiry by the parliamentary Joint Committee on Human Rights.
The Committe, chaired by Dr Hywel Francis MP has launched an inquiry into the human rights of unaccompanied migrant children and young people in the UK, with a particular focus on those who are seeking asylum or have been victims of trafficking. The Committee aims to report to both Houses, with recommendations, no later than Easter 2013.
Professor Crawley has also undertaken research for Race Council Cymru (RCC)on race equality and racism in Wales. Professor Crawley will give a detailed presentation of her findings at the launch of the Race Equality in Wales Research Report on Friday 23rd November at The Pierhead Building, Cardiff Bay 10.30am – 3pm. The RCC event will include a keynote address by Dame Margaret Anstee (former UN peacekeeping envoy and UN Under-Secretary-General).
Professor Crawley has also been assisting our European colleagues. She has been working with the Council of Europe on age assessment of asylum seeking children in the Ukraine. Prof Crawley recently met with officials from the Ministries of Health and Migration in Kiev and will be returning for a second roundtable shortly.
- For more information on the Swansea University Centre for Migration Policy Research go to: http://www.swan.ac.uk/cmpr
- For more information on the Joint Committee on Human Rights go to : http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/joint-select/human-rights-committee/news/human-rights-of-unaccompanied-migrant-children/
- For more information on the Race Council Cymru race equality and racism research report launch go to: http://racecouncilcymru.org.uk/the-Race-Equality-in-Wales-Research-Report.html
- Friday 23 November 2012 00.00 GMT
- Thursday 22 November 2012 15.30 GMT
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050