360 Beach and Watersports - Swansea Bay’s premier beach and water activity facility will celebrate its 1st birthday on September 28th 2013.
To mark the occasion, 360 will be unveiling the London 2012 Olympic beach volleyball court, which will now permanently reside at the Centre, and will host an action filled weekend with volleyball demonstrations, tournaments, free drop-in sessions and a packed watersports programme.
The Olympic beach volleyball court which featured prominently on Horse Guards Parade during last year’s spectacular Games was donated to 360 via Volleyball Wales as part of the London 2012 legacy programme and will now be available for hire throughout the year by families, groups and budding Olympians.
Since opening, 360, which is run in partnership by Swansea University and Bay Leisure Ltd, has attracted over 120,000 visitors, drawn to the facility by its inclusive and welcoming approach. Catering for complete beginners and experienced athletes alike, the 360 team have delivered sessions in kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, beach volleyball and tennis to people from all backgrounds and from ages 5-75 years!
Kate Hannington, General Manager said: “The last year has been a huge success. We have worked hard to develop our offering and attract people from across Swansea, Wales and the UK and now have a regular base of customers who are participating in sports and activities previously unavailable in Swansea. The facility has been warmly received by the local community who feel that 360 is a welcome addition to the stunning landscape of the Bay. We have huge plans for the future and as we celebrate this milestone 360 is set to go from strength to strength”
Cllr Nick Bradley, Swansea Council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration, said: “The 360 Beach and Watersports Centre has been a great success story since being opened a year ago. Swansea’s stunning natural location makes it an ideal spot to take part in watersports and this new facility has given local people and visitors access to a range of top class equipment and expertise on the waterfront within a stone’s throw of the city centre and the Swansea University campus.
“The success of the Swans and the Ospreys has put Swansea on the map as a leading city of sport, but it’s vitally important we have high-quality sports attractions at a grass-roots level so that local people and visitors can benefit too. Centres of this kind help develop a healthy lifestyle and contribute to the unrivalled work/life balance for which Swansea is renowned.”
Paul Robinson, Deputy Director of Estates and Facilities Management at Swansea University said “The partnership with Bay Leisure has allowed us to develop a facility that further enhances the outstanding sports offering at the University. 360 plays an important part in widening the provision available for our students and also helps increase engagement with the local community by improving access. There are very few Universities in the UK that are lucky enough to have a beach on their doorstep and we are very pleased that 360 is allowing us to deliver these unique opportunities.”
360 was developed by Swansea Council as one part of a multi-million pound project launched last October that aims at making Swansea Bay a Watersports Centre of Excellence.
- 360 received the equipment from London 2012 via Volleyball England and its subsidiary Volleyball Wales – as part of the London Legacy to develop BVB in Wales and the fact that 360 is the only facility in Wales of this nature at the time of donation. The equipment donated encorporates: Umpires chair; Scoreboard; Net, Posts, Antenna and base plates and 2012 balls
- 360 Beach and Watersports Centre is located on Mumbles Road, Swansea Bay, opposite the St Helens Rugby & Cricket Ground. For more information visit www.360swansea.co.uk
- The Centre is operated by Bay Sports Limited a not for profit company owned equally between Swansea University and Bay Leisure Limited.
- Bay Leisure Limited is a not for profit company that is limited by guarantee and a leading leisure operator in the Swansea. BLL was created in August 2007, in the first instance, to operate the LC, the newly refurbished Swansea leisure centre which has gone to become a multi-award winning destination. The company has gone on to open additional operations including Simply Gym and prides itself on delivering with world class service, whilst maximising participation throughout the community.
- Wednesday 25 September 2013 16.17 BST
- Thursday 26 September 2013 15.31 BST
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050