Dr Wulf G. Dettmer, associate professor at Swansea University, has recently been awarded the prestigious Zienkiewicz Medal and Prize at the Institution of Civil Engineers in London.
The Zienkiewicz Numerical Methods in Engineering Prize was introduced in 1998 following a donation by John Wiley and Sons Ltd in memory of Professor Olgierd Cecil Zienkiewicz who was one of the pioneers of computational mechanics and had worked at Swansea University for many decades.
The prize, £1000 and a medal, is awarded biennially to a post-graduate researcher under the age of 40 who submits the paper that contributes most to the research in the field of numerical methods in engineering.
The prize winning academic research submitted by Dr. Wulf G. Dettmer and titled “A New Staggered Scheme for Fluid-Structure Interaction” has been published in the International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering.
Speaking about the award Dr Dettmer said: “As a Swansea University associate professor I am very proud to have been awarded a Medal and Prize which was introduced in memory of a former professor at my University. Professor Zienkiewicz was Head and Emeritus Professor of the very department where I have been learning my skills and developing my research. I am also honoured that my research paper has been published in the very first journal dealing with computational mechanics which Professor Zienkiewicz founded in 1968 and which is still the major journal for the field of numerical computations.”
- The prizewinning paper : “A New Staggered Scheme for Fluid-Structure Interaction” has been published in the International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Volume 93, 2013. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1097-0207
- For more information about the Swansea University Department of Civil Engineering go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/engineering/civil
- For more information about Professor Olgierd Cecil Zienkiewicz go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olgierd_Cecil_Zienkiewicz
Picture: The medal was presented to Dr Dettmer (left in the picture) by Professor Barry Clarke, the President of the Institute of Civil Engineers.
- Thursday 31 October 2013 13.02 GMT
- Thursday 31 October 2013 13.10 GMT
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050