Swansea University has retained its position amongst the top 500 universities in the world in the QS World University Rankings® 2013/2014, which have just been published.
The University is ranked in the 431-440 band this year in the results of the annual survey, which is carried out by QS, the leading global career and education network.
The QS World University Rankings have been published since 2004. They consider over 2,000 of the world’s estimated 10,000 universities, and rank over 800 of them.
Indicators used to compile the rankings include academic reputation, employer reputation, student and international student numbers, research papers published, and paper citations.
Swansea University, according to the data in the latest survey:
- increased its score from 29 last year to 31.1, which put it in the 431-440 band in the ranking of all universities around the world
- features in the top 500 in the world in each of the overall categories measured in the survey: Engineering and Technology, Life Sciences and Medicine, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Management, and Arts and Humanities
- is in the top 400 in the world for the Arts and Humanities category
- is in the top 200 in the world for Geography, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
Professor Hilary Lappin-Scott, Swansea University Pro-Vice-Chancellor, said:
“It’s very encouraging to see that we’ve increased our score and held our position amongst the top 500 universities in the world, especially at a time when many UK universities have slipped down the table.”
“It’s particularly pleasing to see that we’re doing well across the board, ranking in the top 500 in all categories, and even in the top 200 for some subjects.”
“QS, who produce this survey, also run teaching awards, and Swansea has achieved a top five-star rating for its teaching. We’ve also recently won the Times Higher Education award for Outstanding Student Services team in the UK”
“The QS survey – confirming that we’re in the top 5% of universities globally - therefore adds to the mounting evidence that Swansea University is on the way up”.
Swansea also recently won the Times Higher Education Award for Outstanding Student Services Team 2013, and the CUBO Commercial University of the Year award 2013.
Full results of the QS World University Rankings® 2013/2014
- Wednesday 11 September 2013 12.40 BST
- Wednesday 11 September 2013 12.34 BST
- Public Relations Office