Swansea University has seen a record 25% increase in applications for entry in September 2013 at a time when there are concerns about numbers of applications nationally.
UCAS figures released to institutions this week show applications for home student undergraduate study at the University are almost 25% up on last year and 4% higher than the previous record high in 2010.
The increase is a remarkable achievement in an environment where applications across the UK are currently showing a modest 3.5% rise and a 2% fall nationally in applications from Welsh students.
With increases in 14 out of 15 subject groups, the scale of the rise includes a 17% increase in Languages, a 32% increase in Law and Criminology, a 76% leap in Engineering and a 83% surge in Maths and Computer Science.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Richard B Davies said: “These figures are yet more good news for Swansea University. They show that students are recognising Swansea as a University which is on the way up with facilities and an outlook geared for the opportunities and challenges of the modern world. Our Open Days saw a record number of visitors coming to see one of the UK’s most ambitious, research-led universities. The visitors saw a University community which thrives on exploration and discovery, and offers the right balance of excellent teaching and research, matched by an enviable quality of life. They also found a University with a strong emphasis upon preparing students for successful careers. Many of our degrees are recognised by appropriate professional bodies and every student has access to overseas study, work placements, and special course options all of which enhance employability.
“The increase in applications is a vindication of the massive investment which is being put into the campus expansion and recognition of the support we have from the Welsh Government. By 2015 the University will have a new Science and Innovation Campus to complement an upgraded Singleton Park Campus. We are confident of achieving our ambition that Swansea will be established as a research-intensive top-30 UK University by 2017, ahead of our centenary in 2020.”
The records speak for themselves –
- Overall student satisfaction has been steadily increasing and last year we achieved a score of 87%, higher than the Wales and UK average.
- Over 90% of our students are already in further education or employment within 6 months of graduating and our students will get even more of a head start with our newly established Employability Academy, launched in 2012.
- The University retained its position amongst the top 500 universities in the QS World University Rankings 2012-13 and was awarded 4 stars overall (and 5 stars for Teaching) by QS stars global university ratings system for 2013.
For a virtual tour of Swansea University click on http://www.swan.ac.uk/virtual-tour
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/SwanseaUniApply
Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UGAdmissions
Latest UCAS applicant figures for the 2013 cycle can be found at http://www.ucas.com/about_us/media_enquiries/media_releases
- Thursday 31 January 2013 14.59 GMT
- Wednesday 30 January 2013 11.11 GMT
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050