Swansea University will be holding its first ever Faith Week which we hope will become a major event in the University’s calendar.
Exhibition: 11 - 15 March 2013; 10.30 -16.00
Inter faith Dinner: 14 March 2013; 17.30
Aims of Faith Week
- To bring together students, staff and community members of different religious backgrounds in an environment conducive to open and friendly exchange
- To raise the profile of faith diversity at Swansea University and in the community
- To highlight positive relations between different faiths
- To present world faiths in a single space to raise awareness and facilitate education
The idea of Faith Week stemmed from Islamic Awareness Week, an annual event organised by the Islamic Society (ISOC) and the University Mosque with the support of the Students’ Union. This year, under the leadership of Sheik Mohsen El-Beltagi, Muslim Student Advisor/Imam and Revd. Nigel John, University Chaplain and with the support of other faith leaders on campus, this event has been expanded to include all faiths that wished to participate.
The week long exhibition will be opened on Monday 11 March 2013 at 10.30am by HM Lord Lieutenant of Glamorgan in the presence of the Lord Mayor of Neatth & Port Talbot , the Deputy Mayoress of City and County of Swansea. On 15th March 2013 the faith groups will host a dinner provided by University Catering Services .
The faiths participating in the exhibition include: Buddhism, Christianity, Hare Krishna Movement, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Paganism, Peacemala, Quakers, Rastafarianism and Sikhism. The Event is sponsored by University Colleges, Professional Services, the Students’ Union, the City and County of Swansea, South Wales Police and the University Mosque Muslim community.
We are anticipating that 20 schools and colleges and several thousand visitors from in and around Swansea will be visiting the exhibition as well as our own students and staff. For more information about the week’s events, please contact the Students’ Union International Officer / Swansea Faith Week Coordinator Mahaboob Basha at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday 14 March 2013 09.47 GMT
- Thursday 7 March 2013 16.40 GMT
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050