Swansea University has today (Friday, September 20) unveiled the names which will be given to its two campuses following the completion of its transformational campus development programme in two years’ time.
The University’s existing estate will be known as the ‘Singleton Park Campus’ and the new 65-acre development located on Fabian Way will be known as the ‘Bay Campus’.
The development programme heralds a new era for Swansea University. The Singleton Park Campus and the Bay Campus will be closely linked in order to grow its strong identity, maintain the outstanding student experience and support the ever-increasing, multi-disciplinary research undertaken with industry across its academic Colleges.
Professor Iwan Davies, Pro-Vice-Chancellor, said: “We have all enjoyed our stunning Singleton Park Campus and we look forward to the prospect of occupying the Bay Campus from September 2015, which will have the distinction of being one of the few global campus universities with direct access onto a beach and its own seafront promenade. This allows the University to market itself widely as one occupying prime locations within a park and on a beach.”
In addition to the new name, the University will also have additional postcodes for the Bay Campus – SA1 8EN and SA1 8EP.
- Singleton Park is the largest park in central Swansea and in 1920 Singleton Abbey became Swansea University's first building. The University’s ambitious expansion plans include the regeneration of the existing Singleton Park Campus, to create world-leading education, research, and innovation facilities on both campuses.
- Swansea University is working closely with St. Modwen, the UK’s leading regeneration specialists, to develop the 65-acre Bay Campus. Students, staff and visitors to the Bay Campus will be able to enjoy dramatic un-interrupted views across Swansea Bay towards Mumbles head, Aberavon and Margam.
- For further information about Swansea University’s campus development programme visit http://www.swansea.ac.uk/campus-development/.
- Friday 20 September 2013 01.00 BST
- Friday 20 September 2013 11.07 BST
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050