Professor Heaven Crawley, Director of Swansea University’s Centre for Migration Policy Research (CMPR) has been conferred the title of Academician of the Academy of Social Science (AcSS) following her nomination by the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG).
Professor Crawley was nominated for her significant contribution to the social sciences in terms of understanding the experiences of migrants, her substantial record of publication including monographs, academic papers, policy papers and reports, Government and Parliament publications including reports by the Home Affairs Committee (2006) and Joint Committee on Human Rights (JCHR) (2007), her substantial and widely acknowledged contributions to policymaking and to public and media debates on migration issues.
Welcoming the new Academicians, Professor Cary Cooper CBE, Chair of the Academy of Social Science, said, "It is so important for the social sciences to have a strong and comprehensive voice able to represent its crucial work."
Professor Crawley’s current work focuses primarily on the treatment of refugee and asylum seeking children. She is currently undertaking an evaluation of guardianship for separated children in Scotland and is working with the Council of Europe on age assessment of separated asylum seeking children in the Ukraine. Professor Crawley has recently been appointed as a special adviser to an inquiry by the parliamentary Joint Committee on Human Rights. The Committee, chaired by Dr Hywel Francis MP has launched an inquiry into the human rights of unaccompanied migrant children and young people in the UK, with a particular focus on those who are seeking asylum or have been victims of trafficking. The Committee aims to report to both Houses, with recommendations, no later than Easter 2013.
- For more information about the appointment of the new Academicians appointed by the Academy of Social Science (AcSS) go to: http://www.acss.org.uk/news.htm . Included in the list is the Rt Hon David Blunkett MP, former Home Secretary and serving Member of Parliament, whose continued strong links with academic social science, both as a user and as a writer, are acknowledged. Rt Hon Peter Riddell CBE, Director of the Institute for Government, also joins the Academy.
- For more information on the Swansea University Centre for Migration Policy Research go to: http://www.swan.ac.uk/cmpr
- For more information on the Joint Committee on Human Rights go to : http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/joint-select/human-rights-committee/news/human-rights-of-unaccompanied-migrant-children/
- Monday 7 January 2013 13.06 GMT
- Wednesday 19 December 2012 15.01 GMT
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050