Swansea University has won the opportunity to host a public (drop-in) workshop at this year’s Hay Festival after being awarded the best University in Wales for engagement and levels of savings across its sustainability programmes
The award was made by the NUS Live Greener Project and will give the University a chance to showcase the work Swansea University does around sustainability.
The Hay Festival workshop Live Greener: The Difference Education Makes takes place on the Good Energy Stage on Friday 23 May 2.15 – 4.30pm and is free to the public.
Dr Heidi Smith, Swansea University Sustainability Manager said: “We are delighted to have been chosen to showcase Swansea University’s work on sustainability at the Hay Festival.
“Swansea University was the first Welsh University to take part in Green Impact Universities, which we built on this year by our involvement with the NUS Live Greener programme. We are delighted to be working in collaboration with NUS Wales and others around engaging students and staff in developing sustainable programmes across the campus. “
Swansea University already has a great deal of experience in managing cutting-edge research into sustainability and is leading the way with a number of innovations that have been introduced on campus ie the University was the first in Wales to achieve Fairtrade status.
- Bees keeping, biodiversity trails and staff allotments on campus
- Used vegetable oil from campus turned into BioDiesel locally
- Sustainable procurement and ethical investment policies
- Sustainable practices incorporated into new buildings (e.g. geothermal exchange in the Institute of Life Science)
- Green Guide 2013 - Sustainability information for students, staff and visitors
- Brighter Futures Funding- Funding for student sustainability projects
- Carbon Management - Swansea University's approach to carbon reduction
- The Hay Festival open workshop Live Greener: The Difference Education Makes takes place on the Good Energy Stage Friday 23 May 2.15 – 4.30pm. The event will be hosted this year by Swansea University as the Welsh University achieving the greatest levels of student engagement and energy reduction as part of the NUS Wales Live Greener programme 2014. For more information about the Hay Festival workshop go to https://www.hayfestival.com/p-7946-live-greener-the-difference-education-makes.aspx
- For more information on Swansea University’s sustainability programme go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/sustainability
- Tuesday 20 May 2014 10.22 BST
- Friday 20 September 2019 14.48 BST
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050