As students prepare for the start of the new year, The Times and the Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015, to be published this weekend, shows that Swansea University has climbed the table again, and is now moving close to the top third of UK universities.
• Swansea rose 4 places in this year’s table, from 47 last year to 43 in this year’s guide.
• This is a rise of 9 places in two years, and puts Swansea on the verge of the top third of all UK universities
The Guide also points out that:
• Swansea is “scoring particularly highly on graduate job prospects, where it ranks in the top 20 in the UK for the proportion of graduates in professional jobs or postgraduate study six months after leaving”.
• “Applications have risen by more than 20% this year and last, and the intake of new undergraduates reached record levels in 2013”
• “Swansea’s new Bay Campus will be open for business by next September”
The result comes only a few days after Swansea was shortlisted for University of the Year by the Times Higher, and after an international survey showed that Swansea retained its place amongst the top 500 universities in the world.
The Times and Sunday Times Guides give the most comprehensive guide to higher education in Britain. In the 2015 Guide they analysed over 120 institutions across the country, looking at areas such as graduate prospects, student satisfaction and spend per student.
Professor Hilary Lappin-Scott, Swansea University Pro-Vice-Chancellor, said:
“I’m really encouraged to see that we’ve climbed the table again in the new Times and Sunday Times Guide, which is one of the most comprehensive guides to higher education."
“This excellent result follows the recent news that we remain amongst the top 500 universities in the world, which puts in the top 5% globally, and the news that we’ve been shortlisted for University of the Year."
“It shows that our hard work is paying off in areas such as improving job prospects for our graduates, and I am delighted to see that we are in the top 20 in the UK on this measure."
“Our applications figures this year have also gone up by around 25%, thanks to our award-winning recruitment campaign."
“The Times/Sunday Times survey therefore provides further evidence that Swansea University is on the way up”.
- Swansea University was listed in the top 500 universities in the world in the QS World University Rankings® 2014/15. It was ranked in the top 200 for both Engineering – Civil and Structural - and English Language and Literature.
- Swansea is also in the top 20 in the UK for employability, with the ‘Destination of Leavers from Higher Education’ survey showing that 79% of those in work have found graduate level jobs. Overall 94% of Swansea students are in work or further study six months after graduation.
- Swansea is the only university in the UK to have won Times Higher Leadership and Management Awards for the past three years.
- Monday 22 September 2014 12.44 BST
- Friday 19 September 2014 13.44 BST
- Public Relations Office