Swansea University is celebrating the news today that it has been successful again in the Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards, with short listings in two categories.
The THE 2014 short listings are in the Outstanding International Strategy category and the Outstanding Student Admissions Team category.
The Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards celebrate the sector’s leadership, management, financial and business skills. With categories covering everything from International Strategy to Student Services, from Fundraising to HR, and from Estates to Admissions, the awards showcase the extraordinary innovation, teamwork and commercial acumen of UK higher education institutions
Swansea University fought off tough competition in the Times Higher Education awards to win the Outstanding Student Services category last year and in 2012 the HR team won the Outstanding Human Resources Team award.
Swansea University’s entry this year for the Outstanding Student Admissions Team category involved a combined submission from the Recruitment, Admissions and Marketing Teams as these teams developed and led a highly successful cross-University recruitment and admissions strategy for new home undergraduates – leading to a 24% increase in applications in 2013 and 25% in 2014; and a 26% increase in new student enrolments in 2013.
Speaking about the University’s achievements Vice- Chancellor Professor Richard B Davies said:
“Swansea University continues to go from success to success.
“The further increase in applications this year by a record 25% reflects the hard work which our Student Admissions, Recruitment and Marketing teams have put into improving the recruitment and application process. Their concerted efforts have also resulted in record attendances at our Open Days.
“Equally our International Strategy Team have our been working hard profile raising internationally with the result that there has been a 37% increase for overseas Undergraduate applications and an increase of 11% for Postgraduate (Taught) applications. Internationalisation by definition involves major crosscutting themes that need to be addressed in all areas of the University. The University’s International Development Office has developed innovative approaches with regard to international engagement including the Middle East. Our holistic approach to internationalisation enables the University to engage in a truly representative way.
“Together with the news that Swansea University has made it into the Complete University Guide 2014 top 20 in the UK for 12 of its subjects and been placed in the world’s top 200 institutions by the QS World University Subject rankings and maintained its place in the world’s top 5% of Universities in the overall QS World University Ranking 2013/14 we can truly demonstrate that we are an ambitious institution with top quality teaching and an excellent place to study for UK, EU and international students.”
Other evidence paints a similar picture:
- Sunday Times’ University Guide 2014 ranked Swansea University in the top 50 UK universities having risen 5 places and was the only university in Wales to move up the table. The guide also recognised that Swansea University was in the top 20 in the UK for graduate job prospects, with 77% of graduates in professional jobs or graduate study.
- The University was also awarded a 5 star rating for teaching quality by the QS Stars global university ratings system, and retained its position amongst the top 500 universities in the QS World University Rankings
- Overall student satisfaction, at 86%, is higher than the Wales and UK average.
- Over 90% of Swansea University students are already in further education or employment within 6 months of graduating and our students will get even more of a head start with our Employability Academy, launched in 2012.
The Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards 2014 will be presented at a ceremony in London on 17 June attended by over 800 guests including politicians, senior sector figures and academics and University staff from all corners of the UK. For more information go to http://www.thelmawards.co.uk.
For more information about the Swansea University Admissions Office go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/admissions; Recruitment Office go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/personnel/attraction and for more information about the International Development Office go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/international.
- Tuesday 29 April 2014 15.09 BST
- Thursday 17 April 2014 16.09 BST
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050