Swansea University has been named University of the Year in the Whatuni Student Choice Awards for the second time in five years.
As well as being crowned University of the Year, Swansea University took the top spot in the International category, and placed top three in the Postgraduate, and Course and Lecturers categories.
Now in its sixth year, the Whatuni Student Choice Awards are voted for entirely by students, with more than 41,000 reviews and comments submitted from more than 160 UK institutions.
This year’s results also place Swansea in the UK top ten in a further three categories:
- Student Support
- Job Prospects
- Clubs and Societies
Professor Paul Boyle, VC Elect of Swansea University, said: “We are thrilled to have been crowned the Whatuni Student Choice Awards University of the Year again, having claimed the title back in 2014. As the award is voted for by students, it makes it even more special as they are at the heart of all we do at Swansea.
“This latest outstanding achievement is testament to the exceptional performance of our staff across the University, and the strength of our relationship with the student body through the Students’ Union. This reinforces our position as a high-performing, global university that delivers top quality teaching, world-leading research, and a superb student experience.”
Reflecting on the importance of student reviews, Martha Longdon, Student Experience Board Member for the Office for Students and Whatuni Student Advisory Board Member, said: "Reviews and comments are vital to improving the student experience and provide an invaluable narrative of university life by allowing students to feedback on the issues they care most about. As students are increasingly seen as partners and co-creators in their education, this method allows them not only to offer detailed praise and concerns, but also the opportunity to suggest creative and innovative solutions which institutions may not have considered.”
This latest accolade follows a year of unprecedented successes that has seen Swansea University:
- Named Welsh University of the Year and runner-up for the overall UK University of the Year in the prestigious Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
- Shortlisted for the Times Higher Education University of the Year title.
- Ranked in the UK top 10 and top in Wales for graduate prospects, in the Destination of Leavers from Higher Education 2018 survey.
- Awarded gold, the highest possible rating, in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
- Ranked 5th* in the UK for overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey.
- Become Wales’ highest ranked university, increasing its overall ranking to 31st in the UK in the 2019 Guardian University Guide.
Professor Boyle added: “Our aim is to build on this latest success as we approach our centenary year in 2020, with the determination to maintain this exceptional rate of progress.”
- Friday 26 April 2019 01.02 BST
- Thursday 4 July 2019 14.19 BST
- Catrin Newman, Tel: 01792513454