Biometric Residence Permit (BRPC)

What is a Biometric Residence Permit Card (BRPC)?

BRPC 300x177







UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) has introduced a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card for all people issued with a visa for more than six months who apply outside the UK. The following arrangements apply to all students who start a course from September 2015 onwards.

When your visa application is approved, you will be issued with an Entry Clearance vignette (sticker) in your passport which is valid for 30 days. This will be accompanied by a letter.  You must travel to the UK before the vignette expires. When you arrive in the UK, you will be required to collect your BRP Card within 10 days of entering.

Swansea University has been approved by the Home Office to distribute the BRP Cards to all of our students who are required to have one.  In order for your card to be delivered to Swansea University, you must enter the Swansea University Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code when prompted to do so on your visa application form. 

The Swansea University ACL Code is 2HE544.

If you do not select Swansea University as your preferred Alternative Collection Location, then your BRP will not be delivered to Swansea University and you will have to go and collect BRP from a Post Office in Swansea. 

Provided that you selected Swansea University as the Alternative Collection Location, then your BRP card will be ready for you to collect when you enrol in person.  You will need to bring your passport containing your Entry Clearance Vignette and the letter that you received when your visa was issued with you when you come to collect your BRP and enrol.  Please note that we will not be able to issue your BRP without these documents and you will not be able to enrol on your course until you have collected your BRP.

For details of how to apply for a Tier 4 visa from outside the UK, see Applying for a visa from outside the UK.

Find out more about BRPCs.

Attending a biometrics appointment

(When extending your Tier 4 visa in the UK)

  • International students extending their visas in the UK have to give their biometrics before their visa application will be processed.  Students who have just arrived in the UK and who must collect a BRP from a Post Office, do not have to give their biometrics. 
  • If you are applying through the postal (Batch) scheme, you will receive a letter from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) about two to three weeks after we send off your application, asking you to go to a participating Post Office where your fingerprints and a facial image is taken.
  • Take your UKVI letter with you when going to the Post Office
  • The nearest Post Offices with this facility is


 Port Talbot


Travel time from Swansea

 20 minutes by train

50 minutes by train

Post Office address

 139 Station Road, Port Talbot SA13 1NG

 45-46 Queens Arcade, CardiffCF10 2BY

Opening times

Monday – Friday 0900 – 1730 and Saturday 0900 - 1600

 Monday – Saturday 0900 – 1730

  • You do not need to make an appointment beforehand.
  • You can travel to Port Talbot and Cardiff either by bus or by train. You can find details of your travel (plus map) from this website
  • There is a fee of £19.20 per applicant which you pay directly to the Post Office with cash or with a debit card.
  • For more information on biometric enrolment and to see a short film of the process click here  
  • Your visa extension will be in the form of a BRP/identity card and will no longer be a vignette (sticker) inserted in your passport.
  • Your passport and documents will come back to us first and then your BRP/identity card will be delivered to us shortly after that.
  • We will then contact you on your University email address to ask you to come to our office to collect your passport, identity card and your documents.
  • The whole process of applying through the postal Batch Scheme can take 2-3 months or longer during peak periods (September - December)

We hold regular workshops where we go through the application form in detail and explain exactly what documents you need to provide. We strongly recommend you to attend one of these workshops before making an application to extend your visa

What if my BRP card has been lost, damaged or stolen (in the UK)?

You must apply for a replacement BRP card as soon as possible. You must apply for a replacement BRP within three months of notifying the UKVI by email. Important:  If you fail to apply for a replacement BRP within three months of losing the card, you may be issued a civil penalty of up to £1,000 and be made to leave the UK. 


1. You will need to report this to the UKVI. Follow the instructions from the UKVI website.

2. Download and complete Form BRP(RC) from the UKVI website and include the documents listed in the form. The fee is listed on the form. The form must be completed in black ink and CAPITAL LETTERS.

3. Please use our sample form for guidance -  Sample BRP Replacement Form

4. Once you have done all the above, make an appointment with the Advisers at International@CampusLife who will check your application and send it off for you.

See our leaflet for full details -  Getting a replacement BRP card Sample BRP Replacement Form