Application FAQs

Hopefully many of your questions will have been answered if you have browsed through our Apply pages, but here are some questions that are commonly asked. If you still have a query that isn’t covered in our pages then please do contact us and we’ll be happy to help you.


How do I find more information about the course?

Detailed course descriptions can be found on the course pages.  If you would like to request a copy of the University prospectus or Departmental/School brochure please complete the enquiry form here.  One will then be posted to you within a few days.


What qualifications do I need?

Entry requirements can be found on the course pages

If your qualifications are not listed, please contact the Admissions Office for further details.


Can I take a year out before I start my studies/apply for deferred entry?

We are happy to consider applications for deferred entry for the majority of our courses.  The only exceptions are the MBBCH in Medicine and the BMid in Midwifery.  This is because of the intense competition in these areas for a very small number of places. 

For all other courses you are welcome to apply via UCAS for a course beginning the following year, or can request deferred entry during the application cycle.


Age of applicants

The University welcomes applications from people of all ages and applications will be considered on their individual merits. If an offer of a place is made to an applicant who will be under the age of 18 at the time of admission, certain legislative procedures will be necessary in order to fulfil the University’s duty of care for students.

There is no upper age limit for applications although the University has a responsibility to ensure that the investment made by public funds in relation to NHS training for certain programmes is realised in terms of length of service within the health service.

We welcome applicants who may not have come directly from school or college and who wish to return to education at different stages of their lives. Students who wish to study full-time should apply through UCAS. 


Additional information

You may be asked to provide additional information in the form of transcripts, academic reference (if not already supplied) or information on alternative qualifications held. When supplying this information, your UCAS Personal Identification Number and the course(s) you have applied for must be included. If you wish to send further information about a change in circumstances, a change in academic qualifications, or details of exceptional circumstances that may affect your application, we would also ask that you include your Personal Identification Number and course details.


 Applying for direct entry to the second year

 Applications for second year entry will be considered on a case by case basis for most programmes subject to places being available.


Students with a disability

If you have a disability, medical condition, or a specific learning difficulty, we may ask the University’s Disability Officer or Director for Occupational Health to interview you so we can be sure that we are able to give you the support you need throughout your studies.


Criminal records declaration

UCAS ask that any relevant criminal convictions be declared on the application form.

If you declare a conviction, it will not be taken in to account during the selection process. If an offer is to be made to you, it will be at that stage that you will be required to provide information regarding the nature of the conviction and your suitability for admission will be assessed by an identified panel.


I would like to visit the University, how can I arrange this?

We hold three general University Open Days each year, usually in July, September and October. 

All applicants are invited to visit the University after they have formally applied.  This could be either before or after a decision is made.  The Admissions Tutor in your chosen Department or School will write to you direct.

If you are unable to visit on one of the set days, you are also welcome to visit the University independently at any time, as access to the University is not restricted. A self-guided tour pack is available, please email to request one. However you should first make an appointment with the Admissions Tutor if you want to have a look around the Department and meet with a member of staff. 


How much will it cost?

The fees charged for study at Swansea University fall broadly into three categories:

Only certain categories of students will be charged the ‘Home/EU’ fee. Generally they are:

  • an EU national or the family member of an EU national
  • an EEA or Swiss migrant worker or the family member of such a person
  • a refugee or person with Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave
  • the child of a Swiss national
  • the child of a Turkish worker in the UK

Living in the UK for three years does not, on its own, mean that you will become eligible for 'home' fees.

To see if you fall into any of these categories, visit the UKCISA website which contains specialist advice and guidance on key topics related to international education

If you have reviewed the above information, and are still unsure which fee category you are in, you may wish to contact us so we can send you a Fee Query Questionnaire to determine your fee status.


Are there any scholarships or bursaries available?

Swansea University offers a variety of Scholarships for academic and sporting achievement as well as departmental scholarships.


I am unhappy as to how my application was handled....

If your application is unsuccessful, you may contact us and we will endeavour to provide you with some feedback which you can hopefully bear in mind for making future applications.  

If you are unhappy as to the way your application has been handled, you may make a formal complaint.  

If you disagree with a decision made on your application, you may formally appeal.