Care Leavers Support Package
Swansea University offers additional support for students who have been in care.
There is loads of support available within the University, but here are the key points:
- Care Leavers Grade Reduction Scheme (T&C’s apply)
- £1000 Bursary per year (undergraduates) or £1000 Bursary per course (Postgraduates)
- Financial assistance in attending open days at Swansea University
- Help applying for University and obtaining your student finance.
- All year round accommodation
- A named contact whilst you study – for those times when you aren’t quite sure what to do or where to get help
- Library and Careers Support via a Library plus named contact and additional opportunities via GoWales
- A direct referral service for the Wellbeing Service, Disability Office and Centre for Academic success.
How do I qualify?
- Be aged 25 or under when you start the course and
- Have been in local authority care for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14 and
- Have been in local authority care at school leaving age (16) or after that date.
If you are unsure if you meet the criteria above, get in touch and discuss your circumstances with one of our named contacts.
What do I need to do?
- Get in touch ASAP! Let us know your plans and the support you would like to access.
- Confirm you are a Care Leaver on your UCAS application and we will contact you with the relevant details.
- Provide a letter from your social worker, confirming your status. Once we have this, all the support is available to you.
For further information on the package and to check eligibility please read our Care Leavers 16/17 Guide
For a better understanding of all the options available to Care Leavers, please read our Further and Higher Education Guide for young people in and leaving care in Wales